Adopting a child won't change the world, but for that child their world will change.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Good news and bad news...

Wow! What a day yesterday was... It started with an email in the morning from our China coordinator asking if we could Skype with Seth at 12:30 p.m. on March 15th China time.  I, of course, said yes thinking we had about 36 hours to plan and get some extra sleep since it would be 11:30 p.m. here.  Then I realized that the 15th there was actually the 14th here so we had about 12 hours to plan...needless to say there was not much sleep to be had in the Sanders house last night.  Richard had to be up for work at 2:45 a.m. so he tried to go to bed at 8:30 with the kids.  I could not sleep because I am in major nesting mode and was also baking for Ned's upcoming bake sale fundraiser. 

At 11:30 p.m. one of the orphanage staff instant messaged us and said that Zhang Yun was on his way from school and would be there shortly.  At 11:40 he arrived so we called and there he was...looking very handsome, nervous, but also curious and very smiley :) 

We talked to him for about 20-25 minutes. He did not try to talk any English to us which I understand being our first meeting and all. He told us that he loves to play basketball and played for his school's team. He seemed to like it when I told him two of that Riley and Samantha also played basketball for their school. He also said he was going to be able to bring his guitar with him.   We woke the kids up so they could see him and he took time to wave and smile at each one of them. He even noticed that Brian and Destiny were missing and was asking where they were. I explained that Brian was married and had his own house and Destiny was spending the night somewhere else (she was at her dad's, but I didn't want to get into that right then).  I told him that Samantha was only a month younger than him and they would be in the same grade to which he got a big, kind of embarrassed smile.   He asked when we were coming to get him to which we said a couple of weeks. He seemed surprised so quickly, but also very happy. The translator said he was excited about coming to the USA. That is when I told him about Ned and Lucky. I had the picture of the three of them, held it up so he could see it and then pointed to both of them. I explained that both boys were being adopted by families who lived very close to us. I think it took a second to sink in, but once it did the expression on his face was PRICELESS!!   He was very excited about this new information. The last thing he asked us was if we had picked a name for him. I told him Seth and they all laughed...this was the same reaction we got when we told Maylin's family (our adopted daughter from Taiwan). I am sure our names sound so foreign to them and I am not sure that they heard me clearly. I told him we could talk about it later and he could keep his Chinese name if he wanted. We thought it went great and the orphanage said if we wanted to talk to him again just to message them.  Richard even thought when the call ended that Seth looked a little emotional.  This has made us more anxious to get over there and pick up both boys.

Now, more good news...the family adopting Lucky has submitted their LOI which is a letter to China that they want to adopt him.  They are moving full speed ahead as they have only until August to get this completed.  We were so happy about to hear this as it has already been quite a roller coaster ride for this wonderful family. 

Okay, the bad news.  We received a letter yesterday from one of the grant foundations that we were denied.  Of course I was disappointed and a little worried how we are going to come up with remaining $8500, but God has performed too many miracles at this point getting all three of these boys (Dusty, Ned and Lucky) as well as Jayden here and I know he is not going to stop now.  We have one more grant pending so we keep praying about that and need to find some more stuff to sell :) 

Keep praying for the boys and the other families!

3 comments:

  1. Posted your Kindle Fire giveaway on my Facebook! Praying it is a huge success. Loved the Skype story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is such a handsome young man
    what a tremendous blessing for all of you!
    May He generously provide the funds you are needing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I am so excited that you are able to bring Dusty home! Our daughter to be is also from Chengdu (she is 11.5) and I am excited to hear they let you skype with him before you bring him home! May I asked how this happened? Did you request it? Or did they suggest it? I can't wait to follow your blog and read about your pick-up trip!

    Maria
    akspudua@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete