Adopting a child won't change the world, but for that child their world will change.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Almost 48 hours home

We have been home for almost 48 hours.  We woke up at 4:00 a.m. Saturday morning in Guangzhou, showered, packed and were in the van heading for Hong Kong by 5:20 a.m.  It took us close to three hours to drive to the airport and get through border security.  Once at the airport we stood in a monsterous line to try and get seats together with no such luck.  I sat with the boys and Richard sat ahead one row.  Needless to say...it was a long flight, but all in all Jayden did pretty well.  I would have thought thought during the 14 hours we were on the airplane he would have slept more than four hours and it was not a four hours in a row.  It was an hour here and an hour there.  Seth slept off and on the whole trip.  We got into Chicago around 2:00 p.m. and that gave us a little less than two hours to get through immigration and security plus we had to get all of our checked luggage as well as Seth's guitar, have them cleared with immigration and then recheck them for our flight to Kansas City.  We made it with about ten minutes to spare.  We got into K.C. shortly after 5:00 and our kids were waiting for us.  What a wonderful site they were :)  All of our luggage made it from Hong Kong to Kansas City except the guitar.  It got left in Chicago.  The airline drove it out to house Sunday morning. 

Jayden has adjusted to pretty well so far except for sleep and our pets.  If one of the cats or dogs gets too close he literally freaks out screaming.  It is getting better though.  He will let them within about two feet of him before he starts to get this really worried look on his face.  Sleep...oh how I miss my sleep.  Jayden at the most will sleep two hours in one stretch.  He stayed up all day yesterday, went to bed at 10:00 and was up at 12:00.  He then was wide awake for two hours, slept for an hour and a half and was awake again.  I slept during the 10-12 time and that was it.  Richard went back to work today, but I did keep Sami and Riley home today to help out. 

Seth is being a bit reclusive.  Yesterday he fell asleep around two in the afternoon and was up around midnight last night.  I heard him in the kitchen so I got up to check on him.  He had a snack and went back to his room.  This morning he got up and showered and brought me his dirty clothes to be washed.  He was having computer problems so we worked on that together.  Then he went back to his room.  Riley has tried to interact with him and it has been very short.  He has asked him to play a video game or watch a movie and he has not been interested at this point.  He is polite and will give you a smile.  He has lost so much more than Jayden and grieving hard and I am so tired today that it is taking every bit of energy just to do the bare minimum.  Richard went back to work today, but thankfully Samantha has been a huge help :)  Seth did say four sentences in English which was more than the yesterday and more than the day before.  We'll get there.  It will just take some time. 

6 comments:

  1. Welcome home! I know things will get easier on everyone. It's great that you have realistic expectations and a lot of patience - that will go a long way :) Can't wait to follow the rest of the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me if you need ANYTHING Stacey. Nothing is too small or big a task. We'll find a way. I'll IM you on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there with Seth. We have been home now just a little over 2 months with our 13 1/2 yr old and there are good days and not so good days. He misses his friends, his language, his culture and everything that was normal to him. It is hard but day by day we see the shell starting to break away. We have gotten to the testing part and our son found out he is treated just like his brother and sister. (He is stubborn, too!)
    It will be better once you start getting your much needed sleep!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter's doctor told me that it takes kids longer to adjust to the time chage. I had the same problem with my daughter not sleeping at first. I read about you Skyping with Seth before you went to China. As a result of reading your blog.....I just got to Skype with my son in Chengdu last week! Thanks! Should be traveling this summer!
    Laura Chesny

    ReplyDelete
  5. The end of one journey and a new one beginning--for all of you. . . My heart goes out to Seth; I can only imagine what he is feeling and going through. Continue to follow his verbal and non-verbal cues along with the Holy Spirit and it WILL get better day by day. Love!

    Matthew 11:28-29 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO happy that you all are home!!!!! Praying for a continued smooth transition!

    ReplyDelete