Adopting a child won't change the world, but for that child their world will change.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Chengdu


I have lots to write since it has been almost 36 hours since my last post.  It really has been a crazy ride and we have been just exhausted.  We left Nanchang and thankfully our guide/translator went with us.  Shirley helped us get our boarding passes and took us to security.  We said our goodbyes and she waited while we got through security which was a blessing because Richard got through with no problem, but the gentleman was not going to let Jayden through because we do not have his passport yet.  We were told we could get through security with just his adoption papers.  I was able to call Shirley up to help me and after a few words he said go ahead. 

The flight was interesting.  Of course we were the only Americans on the plane :)  There is another long story about our plane ride, but I will save that for another time.

Waiting for the plane to Chengdu




We got off of the plane about 3:30 p.m. and was met by our guide/translator.  She told us we were going straight to the orphanage to get Seth as they were waiting for us.  Again...we thought we might have at least an hour to get things settled in our hotel room, but that was not to be.  It was a 45 minute drive to the orphanage.  We go to the directors office to wait for Seth and the orphanage translator, Mandy, shares some photos with us and tells us what a great student he is.  It is at this time I whip out my picture of the "Three Amigos" and ask if we can meet Lucky and Ned to which she says absolutely. I also give her a letter and photos from Lucky's soon to be adopted family.  

Let me just say this was not what we expected our "gotcha day" with Seth to be like.  It was several hours of just raw emotion.  I guess we thought we would show up and he would have said his goodbyes and been ready to go.  That was not the case.  We were witnesses to his goodbyes with his friends, the orphanage staff and his foster family.  Let me just say that ZhangYun was well-loved.  I am thankful that we allowed to be a part of it because it has given us a new appreciation for what Seth is going through.

        

The entrance of the orphanage

We were told that we were going to Seth's foster home to meet his foster parents as well as Ned and Lucky.  On the way there, Lucky showed up and he was already emotional.  He was given the letter and photos of his soon to be adopted family.  I do not know what he thought about it as he was taken off to the side to read the letter with his foster mom and the translator.  He was visibly upset about Seth leaving so I think the family information will be something he will have to process later.  We were able to see Seth's room and meet his foster siblings.  His foster parents were very nice and you could tell loved him so much.  We then waited for him to pack some of his things and while waiting Ned showed up.

Ned who has a beautiful smile


We did get a picture of Ned, Lucky Dusty (Seth) and his foster parents.  His foster mom gave me the biggest hug and just held on.  We explained to her that we would keep in contact and send lots of updates.  We also told the orphanage translator that the boys could Skype to keep in contact until their adoptions were finalized to which she was thankful for.



By the time we got to the hotel and got settled in it was after 8:00 p.m.  We were all exhausted.  I apologize that it took so long to get this blog entry done.  This morning we ate breakfast and then went to do adoption paperwork.  Seth agreed to let us be his parents and we agreed to always love him and never break that relationship.  Because ZhangYun is over ten years old he had to verbalize and hand write that he agreed to be adopted.  Again, it was very emotional as the lawyer (notary) talked about why he is an orphan which made us very sad.  His mother abandoned him and his father tried to take care of him, but got sick and died when Seth was only four.  We then went to the civil affairs office and completed the paperwork.  I asked the orphanage translator if Seth told her he was doing okay and she told us that he already loved us and knew we would be good parents.  Wow!  What an emotional 24 hours.

Tomorrow we are going to the Panda Sanctuary to see baby pandas.  Then we are going back to the orphanage.  We want Seth to able to spend as much time as he wants with his friends before we leave on Sunday.  The orphanage staff want to see him again too.  The director sent him money today and bought him a new suitcase for his clothes.  The translator from the orphanage keeps telling us how much he was loved by all.



  

10 comments:

  1. What a journey! I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster for everyone involved. I know it may be a tough transition, but I hope it gets easier as the boys get more accustomed to the thought that they will get to stay so close even if it's a few months away. I love that you can continue to skype with the workers and foster family there, I think that will make such a difference. You guys are always in my thoughts, I feel that great things are yet to come!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phewwww...that wore me out just reading what all of you are going through.
    Blessings and love from here to all of you.♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have cried this much over a blog in a long time! So glad you have both boys and that your youngest son is transitioning and bonding well. Praying for Seth's heart and for Ned (Zane) and Lucky too! How hard it will be for awhile, but how wonderful it will be when they are reunited and to fully realize the miracle God has orchestrated in finding families for them that are so close. And how wonderful that they had such a great foster family that really loved them and that director- he sounds incredible! Tell him thank you so much for all he is doing to help the children of Chengdu find families and that we are working hard over here to help them find families as well. Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacey, it's Debbie. I can't even get my tears to stop as I write this. I keep looking at the picture of them all sitting on the couch and Lucky's eyes are so red! It must be scary for him thinking he will be the last one to wait. Pray that this process is sped up and that God is working on it! To go from handling the goodbyes to hearing that he loves you already.....wow! For teenage boys to have such tender emotions speaks to how well they have been cared for. I just hope I can handle it when it's our turn and it's just me and my son there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I am SO thrilled that these boys will all be so close together here in the states. I'm sure there will be some tough days ahead, but it sounds like you have a great son who will pave the way for his friends as they all make their way into new families.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In tears sweet Stacey!!! I am so thankful that these boys will be able to remain good friend!!!! Praise the Lord! I will be praying for these wonderful young friends!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love you guys and are so thankful that you are able to share such raw emotion about the experience as well. We all know adoption is an amazing thing, however to read the real in's and out's of the trials and blessings is where the real joy is found. Thank you for sharing the journey with everyone. The boys are so good looking and just seem like great kids. I can't wait for Seth to be home with his family and then soon after, his "two remaining amigos". God has BIG things in store for these boys as He has moved mountains to bring them to this point. We are continuing to pray and will talk to you in "your morning" :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. Jayden seems to be loving having a big brother and Seth seems to be so amazing with him. Such a blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such sweetness being able to see these three boys together. Please keep sharing pictures. This is an amazing story crafted by God and I know that it is just beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are all handsome boys! I loved reading about your gotcha day! God bless you all as you become a family!

    ReplyDelete