Adopting a child won't change the world, but for that child their world will change.

Saturday, April 7, 2012

L.A. to Hong Kong to Beijing


We got on the plane in Los Angeles around 1:00 a.m. and flew out of L.A. about 1:30.  It was a 15-hour flight to Hong Kong.  Richard had the window seat, I was in the middle and the guy next to me slept I think probably 12 of the 15 hours.  The two times he did get up, Richard and I both got up to use the restroom.  Needless to say it was a very long, long flight.  We both slept some, but not nearly enough.  We did have okay food, plenty of snacks including noodles, cookies and lots to drink all provided by the airline.  We watched lots of T.V. and movies and tried to sleep…sitting up which is not very restful at all.  We arrived in Hong Kong at 7:45 a.m. which was 30 minutes late.  We were a little concerned because our flight to Beijing was at 8:30 a.m.  Just as soon as we got off of the plane there was a ticket agent there with new tickets for a 9:00 flight.  He asked for our passports and I could not find mine.  I borrowed this wonderful backpack from my son, but it has too many pockets.  After 2-3 minutes of frantic searching, we found it in the pocket with my cell phone.  We then walked very quickly to get through security and get to the boarding gate which I must say was on the complete opposite end of where we landed.  We got there just in time to start boarding.  Richard asked me what time it was and that is when I discovered that I forgot to zip the pocket that my cell phone was in.  It of course is lost so I am praying that some very nice person turns it into lost and found so we can get it on the 21st when we come home. 
Hong Kong Airport

After a three-hour flight to Beijing, we landed, went through customs and met our driver who spoke not one word of English.  He did get us to our hotel though and we got checked in.   At that point it was almost 2:00 in the afternoon.  I emailed home and then climbed in bed totally exhausted.  Richard was already mostly asleep.  We took a seven-hour nap J  We were still very tired, but got up and skyped with the kids and my mom.  It was wonderful to talk to them and I think they were relieved to see us.  We then skyped with my best friend Michelle who is laid up in bed with her broken leg.  We shared some cup of noodles and went back to bed sleeping another five hours.  I am still tired, but feeling human again after getting a shower and a good breakfast.
Our Beijing Hotel

Today, we are going to the Great Wall and maybe the Forbidden City.  Tomorrow morning we are catching a 7:30 a.m. flight to Jayden’s province Nanchang, Jiangxi.  We will be there by lunchtime on Sunday which will be about midnight Saturday night at home.  We will meet Jayden at 11:00 a.m. Monday morning which will be 10:00 p.m. Sunday night at home.  They are bringing him to our hotel.  We will then sign all of the paperwork in the afternoon and catch a plane the next morning to Chengdu.  Once we get settled in our hotel, we will go to the orphanage to meet Seth (Dusty).  We are very excited to meet the boys, but also thankful that we will have a few days to recover from our 36-hour trip. 


We have been having some internet issues.  It seems to only work about half of the time which is a bit frustrating so be patient with the blog entries.  I am typing this now in Word and then will paste and copy it when we get internet again.  Love you all!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you arrived safely! Very excited for you all! Looking forward to your updates and pics with the boys. We will be praying for you all as you get to know one another and your journey home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you will be getting both of your boys so closely together. We will be praying for the cell phone and for continued smooth sailing.

    ReplyDelete